How To Pick A Good Real Estate Agent
A good real estate agent will have the experience to get you through what may be the most
important transaction of your life, buying or selling a home. Finding one that suits your needs is a task that
should not be taken lightly.
1. Ask your friends for referrals. Referrals are the foundation of any good real estate business.
Find someone who has recently had a successful transaction or ask an office to provide you with recent clients
with whom to speak with.
2. Credentials are a visual sign that the sales agent has taken some additional courses and has
experience. One of those designations is a Certified Real Estate Brokerage (CRB). A CRB is recognized industry
wide as a symbol of excellence in professional achievement in the field of management.
3. Also determine if the agent is a member of the National Association of Realtors. Other designations include:
Graduate Realtor Institute (GRI); Certified Residential Specialist (CRS); Certified Relocation Professional (CRP);
Leadership Training Graduate (LTG); and, in Canada, the Registered Relocation Specialist (RRS)
4. If you’re looking for a real estate agent to list your home, be wary of anyone who suggests
he or she can get an unreasonably high sales price. A real estate agent might use a high listing price to secure
a contract, only to seek a lower price later.
5. If you are a buyer, if the real estate agent offers buyer agency. More and more buyers are
deciding they want full contractual representation on the same level as the seller. Be sure to discuss buyer agency
with any agent you’re thinking about working with.
6. When selling your home, ask the agent questions:
° How well do they know the housing market?
° Are they active in soliciting business in your neighborhood?
° Is the agent part of a national network? This can be
especially important if you’re selling in one city in preparation of moving to another.
7. Most importantly, make sure the agent seems primarily interested in sharing expertise and
market knowledge in an honest and straightforward manner.