Learn How Walking Just 3 Times a Week Will Help You Feel Better
Although it does not take much to get started with walking, it does take a bit more planning
than simply marching out the door and down the street. Follow these pointers to make the most of your walks.
1. Find a course suitable for safe, stress-free walking. Initially, a mile of flat terrain on
a track, through a park or around the neighborhood will do.
2. Walk the course at a comfortable pace, keeping track of your time.
3. Walk at least three times a week.
4. When you can comfortably walk one mile in 15 minutes, increase your distance.
5. Your next goal should be two miles in 30 minutes. Always stop if you feel short of breath
or are in any pain.
6. Keep a walking diary. It will help you establish goals and record progress. Record the date,
distance and time it took to complete the course.
7. Add a little fun to your walk by writing down an “observation-of-the-day” such as
what the weather is like, what you were thinking about or about the people you meet along the way.